Social Media Outreach:
– 67 Virtual Events, Gatherings, Trivia Nights, Video Messages Garnered 407,000 Views to Date
– UMD Generation M’s Together from Home Campaign Donated $50,000 for the Creation of a new Pulmonary Clinic in Skopje to Combat COVID-19.
– Another $50,000 will be donated for medical equipment in regional clinics in the near future.
Cultural Preservation and Promotion:
– Over 100 guests attend the 15th Annual Macedonian Old New Year’s Masquerade Vasilica Charity Ball at Georgetown University, January 2020
– Hosted Oscars viewing party in Washington, D.C. to support Macedonian submission and award-winning Honeyland. Representatives from British, Montenegrin, Swedish Embassies attended, February 2020
– Over 60 guests attended the join UMD-Arizona State University’s Melikian Center screening and discussion of Honeyland at the ASU Washington, D.C. campus, February 2020
– Organized a Galicnik Wedding photography exhibit by Dejan Stankovski, January-March 2020
– Hosted International Women’s Day party in Washington, D.C., March 2020
– Launch of Macedonian Flag Day; hundreds participate globally; Top 10 trending hashtag in Macedonia, May 2020
– Hosted 3 virtual hours on the preservation and development of the Macedonian language abroad, May-July 2020
– Partnered with the Macedonian Language E-Learning Center for two virtual Macedonian language sessions for children, July 2020
– Ilinden and Macedonian Independence Day proclamations from U.S. Presidential candidate Joe Biden, Maryland Governor Larry Hogan, Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser, Cuyahoga Falls Ohio Mayor Don Walters, Reynoldsburg Ohio Mayor Joe Begeny, and Lorain County Ohio Commissioners, August-September 2020
– Macedonian flag-raising ceremonies in Avon and Reynoldsburg, Ohio, September 2020
– Featured over a dozen Macedonian-owned businesses in the diaspora during our Entrepreneur Spotlight in UMD Impact Newsletter
– Published 30+ Weekly Macedonia Economic Briefs
– Provided information on COVID-19 relief resources for Macedonian churches and organizations in Australia, Canada, and the United States
– Ran a National Takeout Night campaign online supporting Macedonian immigrant-owned and heritage-inspired restaurants, June 2020.
– Partnered with Makonnect, the free Macedonian business directory to encourage Macedonian businesses to register online.
– Partnered with Startup Macedonia and Business Accelerator UKIM to provide the know-how to startups and young entrepreneurs in Macedonia.
– Partnered with ESNAF, OMG Its Macedonia, and Nas Nakit to help Macedonian-owned businesses.
Educational Advocacy and Human Rights:
– Submission in response to Australian Senate Inquiry into Nationhood, National Identity and Democracy, January 2020
– 17 Congressional meetings during Macedonian Hill Days, January 2020
– Congresswoman Jenniffer González-Colón of Puerto Rico, Congressman Raul Grijalva of Arizona, and Congresswoman Linda Sanchez of California Join Congressional Caucus on Macedonia and Macedonian-Americans, February 2020
– Diaspora right to vote campaign globally, garnered 7,000+ registrants, March 2020
– Senator Mike Braun of Indiana becomes 1st Senator to join Congressional Macedonia Caucus, March 2020
– Testimony before Ohio State legislature on Macedonians leaving their mark on Ohio history, March 2020
– Launches Bilingual Macedonians Count: U.S. Census Campaign, March-October 2020
– U.S. Census Bureau spotlighted UMD on its website for Partnership Promoting 2020 Census, May 2020
– Balkan Insider publishes UMD op-ed “The Balkans’ Strategic Crossroads Becomes NATO’s 30th Member” and hosts fireside chat for Transatlantic community, diplomats, and think tank professionals, April-May 2020
– Educates members of European Parliament following two ECHR rulings against Bulgaria over violating Macedonian minority’s human rights, May 2020
– Remembered Macedonian victims of communism during the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation’s 13th Annual Roll Call of Nations Ceremony, June 2020
– Becomes a civil society organization member of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, June 2020
– Generation M Submits Report on Macedonian religious freedom issues in Bulgaria and Greece to the United Nations, June 2020
– Submission made in response to Australian Senate Inquiry into Issues Facing Diaspora Communities, July 2020
– Hosted worldwide candle vigil to honor Macedonian Genocide victims in front of Greek embassies, August 2020
– Became a founding member of the Voices of Internet Freedom Coalition, September 2020.
– 23 Meetings in Macedonia with Members of Parliament, Religious Leaders, Business Leaders, Academics, and Diplomats; Visit to Albania to Meet Mayor of Pustec, September-October 2020
– Congressman Andy Levin of Michigan joins Congressional Macedonia Caucus, October 2020
– Testifies before Australian Senate Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade References Committee on issues affecting Macedonian community, November 2020
– 20 religious freedom leaders sent a letter to Secretary Pompeo on the lack of Macedonian religious freedom in Bulgaria and Greece, November 2020
– Video submission for the UN Forum on Minority Issues, Regulation of online hate speech: the role and responsibility of intergovernmental organizations, states, internet companies, and social media platforms, November 2020.
– Melbourne Generation M – young Macedonian leaders meet with former Macedonian President Ivanov to discuss ways to engage youth in helping Macedonia.
– Hosts networking event for Macedonian youth in Melbourne.
– Generation M Launch Emerging Macedonian Leaders Mentorship Program – 25 mentors/mentees participating.
– Hosts six interns in 2020
– 15 UMD Voice Articles and Interviews Published on Generation M Website
– 3 Generation M leaders complete the 2020 Ivanov School of Young Leaders Program
– Generation M triples its Australia team, grows its Canada team, appointed Solun, Miami, Indiana Representatives
Administrative and Fundraising News:
– COVID-19 has seriously affected UMD’s operations and has had to scale back and downsize significantly, while still trying to meet the needs of our community-at-large.
– After 10 years of 1510 H Street, NW and sharing an office with the Turkish Coalition of America and Advisory Council on Bosnia and Herzegovina, UMD moved out of its office space in August, temporarily saving UMD $1,000 a month. UMD will continue to use the address for mail purposes.
– Appointment of 6 new global Board Members, 2 Australians, 1 Canadian, 3 Americans.
– Goal of raising $50,000 before December 31, 2020, with your help!
Renewing UMD Membership: http://bit.ly/UMDMembership
Canadian Donors/Members: http://bit.ly/CanadaMacedonians
Become a UMD Monthly Sustainer: https://bit.ly/UMDMonthlyDonations
If anyone wants to get involved in the UMD Development Committee, please e-mail Jim Pavle at pavle.jim @ gmail.com.
If you would like to make a donation of stock, IRA Required Minimum Distribution, or discuss planned giving options, please e-mail Metodija Koloski at mkoloski @ umdiaspora.org.