Dear UMD Friend,
Since we were founded in 2004, the safety and well-being of the Macedonian community have always been at the center of our work. As we grapple with this unprecedented global pandemic, the UMD Board has decided to make changes to the work of our organization. Here’s how we are responding:
- As of Thursday, March 12, 2020, our staff and spring class of interns have been working remotely. We have canceled all travel, and we’re replacing in-person meetings with zoom video calls.
- UMD has canceled all in-person events through the end of April that include all scheduled or in-planning session screenings of the Macedonian award-winning film God Exists, Her Name is Petrunya. With the help of UMD Advisory Council member Jason Miko, we arranged for the film to be featured at this year’s Phoenix Film Festival, which has been canceled as well.
- With great regret, UMD has canceled this year’s Birthright Macedonia summer program, which would have been our 6th annual program giving a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to young Macedonians to visit their ancestral homeland. All confirmed participants will be invited to attend our 2021 summer program or get a full refund of their application fee. Next year’s dates will be June 25-July 16, 2021.
- UMD is in touch with our partner, Macedonia Tours, regarding our Grand Heritage Tour of Macedonia, evaluating postponing the trip to September 2020.
- The Macedonians Count: U.S. Census 2020 campaign will continue; however, we are encouraging Americans of Macedonian heritage to fill out the form (write-in Macedonian on Question 9) online, mail in the form, or via phone.
- We’re considering virtual gatherings in the meantime, and taking the opportunity to map out UMD events for the summer and fall once we’re able to host in-person events.
It is a critical time for our community and the challenges are unprecedented.
The financial impact as a result of these changes will be difficult to overcome. That’s why we hope we can count on your support now.
We ask that you contribute whatever you can now, so that we may continue our mission of representing the interests and needs of Macedonians in the world, and making our Babas, Dedos, and parents proud.
Canadians can donate by clicking HERE
Our work to inspire the next generation of Macedonians has never been more important, and we will not let anything impede our progress. You have our word.
Continue to stay home if you can, practice good hygiene, check up on your loved ones who may be at risk, and stay informed about COVID-19.
Thank you for supporting UMD!
Check donations can be mailed to:
United Macedonian Diaspora
1510 H Street, NW, Suite 900
Washington, D.C. 20005