The United Macedonian Diaspora (“UMD”) is pleased to announce the 2011/2012 application process for their John L. N. Bitove, C.M. Macedonian Heritage Scholarship Awards to assist young Macedonians pursuing an undergraduate degree in Australia, Canada, Europe, and the United States.
UMD will award up to two scholarships in the amount of $2,000.00 per scholarship and two scholarships in the amount of $1,500.00 each annually for full-time undergraduate students at an American, Australian, Canadian or European university or college.
Applicants must be undergraduate students of Macedonian heritage.
• Be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student in good standing at an accredited American, Australian, Canadian, or European university or college;
• Submit a completed application with all necessary documents (application, transcript, essay);
• Applicants or their parents MUST be members of UMD to be considered, please visit https://www.umdiaspora.org to join;
• UMD will accept applications from students in their last year of high school, however, they MUST be admitted into a university or college and must submit a proof of copy of their acceptance letter and proof of enrollment.
UMD requests an essay, no more than 1,000 words on the following topic:
As a young individual, please tell us what your Macedonian heritage means to you in the context of wider society. How have your ethnic cultural values been affected by the society in which you live? Have you been able to harmoniously adapt your ethnic and cultural identity and the values of your ancestors with society at-large?
The essays of the scholarship recipients will be published in UMD publications.
Candidates must present documentation to UMD verifying the eligibility criteria. The selection will be based on merit.
How to Apply
Please read the following instructions carefully. Submit the following items no later than 30 days prior to the beginning of the fall term, August 1 or spring term, December 1. When applying, you must indicate the start date of the term for which you are applying.
1. COMPLETED APPLICATION FORM
2. OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT
3. LIST OF EXTRACULICULAR ACTIVITIES AND/OR AWARDS
Upon acceptance of application, a UMD Bitove Scholarship Selection Committee will evaluate the applications and will determine the best candidate(s) to receive the scholarship awards. UMD will mail a check directly to the college or university, which will be applied towards your tuition.
Please note that United Macedonian Diaspora is not responsible for placing students at accredited universities/colleges, finding housing, internships or securing other forms of financing during their time at university or college.
Click HERE to download application.
Completed application should be e-mailed in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org or hard copies mailed to:
United Macedonian Diaspora
1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, 6th Floor
Washington, D.C. 20004
For more information, please contact us at (202) 756-2244 or email@example.com.