Dear UMD Voice Readers,
The Macedonians are one of those rare nations where the number of people outside of the home country’s borders may actually exceed the number within. Therefore, the Macedonian Diaspora is not only a part of the Macedonian identity, but it is actually a huge part of that identity, with substantial satellite communities around the world.
Like no other organization, UMD is positioned to unite these communities in their common cause, to organize, to advocate and to educate. This long-awaited Spring 2010 Issue of UMD Voice reflects the international nature of our organization like never before.
- Comprehensive coverage of President Koloski’s extensive travels across Western Europe, the Balkans, Australia and New Zealand;
- Feature interview with Diaspora Leader George Atanasoski;
- Special guest column from Sally McNamara of the Heritage Foundation;
- Interview with Carlos Flores Juberias of Spain, an expert academic on Macedonian issues and Honorary Consul for Valencia;
- An in-depth look at the Macedonian community in Sweden; and;
- A fine trio of historical essays, focusing on ancient Macedonian history, the 19th Century, and the early 20th Century.
It is also a great honor that UMD has chosen my hometown of Toronto as the location for its upcoming 2010 Global Conference, at the Sheraton Hotel, on June 3rd to 6th. Building on last year’s huge success in Washington, UMD GC2010 promises to be a fantastic event. For full details and registration, please visit: http://www.umdglobalconference.org
Finally, I would like to thank all of you, the UMD membership, for making this organization possible. Your enthusiasm and energy for the cause is incredible, and we hope this magazine makes you proud.
Click here to read UMD Voice.
Editor, UMD Voice Magazine